Two years ago, I had the privilege of standing by my best friend’s side while she married the love of her life . It was an incredibly joyous occasion. This summer I will be a bridesmaid in my brother’s wedding as well as one of my best friends. Now that I’ve got one wedding under the belt, I’m pretty sure I’ve got this . If you’re wondering what to expect , here are a few things along the way.
- First things first, it can be costly to be a bridesmaid. If you accept the honor, make sure you can afford it. You’re going to have to spend money. Between the dress, possible alterations, shoes, hair, makeup, travel, and gifts for the bridal shower, and wedding – it can add up fast! As soon as you say yes, start saving.
- Beware of Bridesmaidzillas- We’ve all heard the term bridezilla , but Sometimes bridesmaids can get a bit out of control too, it’s hard for some people to go with the flow and take the back seat so they tend to forget that IT’S NOT THEIR WEDDING….
- Try to attend all events, whether its dress fitting, rehearsals, dinner meet ups, make sure you are able to attend, it is part of your duty. Of course life happens so if you have to miss something let the bride know ASAP.
- Be sure to mingle with the other girls – you don’t have to be best friends but try to get acquainted with them individually because you will be spending a lot of time together in the days leading up to the wedding.
- You will be responsible for helping to plan and pay for the bridal shower and bachelorette party, make sure the bride has an amazing time!
- Provide moral support at all times! This time can be really stressful, make sure you do not let the bride become stressed or worried about wedding planning.
- DO NOT wait until the last-minute to order your dress, it is imperative that you give yourself enough time to make alterations if needed.
- Use this as a good opportunity to drop any unwanted pounds, wedding photos last forever so you want to look your best in them
- Be social at the weeding. Be sure to talk to as many guests as you can, making them feel welcomed.
A bridesmaid is first someone who the bride wants to be a part of her wedding. Whether a sister, close friend remember the bride thought enough of you to make you a part of her big day. If you say yes to this amazing honor, I hope this brief information was enough to help along the way.
“Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story.” – Jennifer Smith, author